Tullaghan your eye on the Wild Atlantic Way!

Local History

Tullaghan Village

Local History

Tullaghan Cross

  • Very recognisable landmark but nobody knows exactly where it came from.
  • Thomas Dickson of Woodville, Tawley, Landlord and MP for Ballyshannon from 1741-1817 erected it on the present site in 1778.
  • To mark Tullaghan as a market town in opposition to other towns whose markets were better attended. Historically the right to hold a regular fair or market was granted by a monarch, bishop or baron going back to 7th century England where elaborate carved stones, crosses, spires, ornate wooden structures etc were erected in market squares/ areas.
  • Some people say it was washed up by the sea. Others say it came from a long-forgotten monastery or a local graveyard near the site its erected on.
  • Only type of its kind in the diocese of Kilmore
  • Once owned by the church, but now owned by Tullaghan Development Committee who have plans for its future preservation and upkeep.

River Duff

  • An Dubh (meaning the black)
  • Rises in the townland of Caraduff in the Glenade Valley to the right of the R280 Kinlough to Manorhamilton road above Glenade chapel.
  • It is 14 miles long
  • It is joined by the Ballintrillick river which flows from the Gleniff Horseshoe.
  • It flows into the sea at Bunduff bridge which is on the border between Sligo and Leitrim on the N15 road.
  • It closed to fishing in 2016 to allow fish stocks to replenish.
  • Several bridges on the Duff: Muckrum, Brockey, Liscally (famous Ballinalee armoured car ambushed here in 1922 and its engine wrecked by shells from an enemy armoured car. The crew had to retreat to the mountains and several were killed near Ben Bulben- Sligo’s six) Mary’s bridge built in 1817 Mary was Bokin wife of a local landlord called Dickson. Stone in the wall with date on it.
  • 2 footbridges one in Tawley, the other in Derryduff/Cashel
  • The Duff drains the Dartry and Benbulben mountain range, so water levels can change very quickly with heavy rain.
  • Duff falls are located between Bunduff Bridge and the sea.
  • Kayakers and white rafters use it.
  • 500 meters of class 2-3 (novice to intermediate) rapids with a 10 foot (over 3 meters) drop at the end.
  • 1938 schools’ collection available on line (Cliffoney school) Pat Healy 60 from Mullaghamore records a story of St. Patrick crossing the Duff.

Red brae Tragedy (1868)

  • Schooner Idwall (schooner is a sailing ship with 2 or more masts)
  • Taking timber from the Dickson estate in Tawley to Manchester
  • Sailing from Mullaghmore. Took shelter from a storm and was broken up on the rocks at Redbrae.
  • Slate headstone in the old graveyard out the Dartry road from Kinlough with the details on it.
  • Thomas Jones (skipper) aged 61 and his 22-year-old nephew as well as two others perished. Welsh natives.
  • Sunday working was compulsory to harvest these trees and local Catholics were supposedly un happy. A Story tells of a Catholic boy supposed to have got delayed in Mullaghmore delivering a message, survived because he missed the sailing.

St. Patrick’s well

  • Situated in Corbeg, Tullaghan a short distance from Bunduff Bridge, on the back road.
    2 wells: Tobair Phadraig (Patrick’s well, near to the road) Little grotto with a statue of St. Patrick and a mound of stones. Well faces the sea. Tobair na Bheatha (shaving well) further down the same field nearer the sea.
  • Numerous ailments in humans and cattle are supposed to have been cured here, particularly eye problems.
  • Pilgrimage here every St. Patricks day.

Tullaghan Chapel

  • Built in the Townland of Tawnytallan in 1770
  • Bishop Denis Maguire Kilmore 1770 – 1798 dedicated this church. His portrait hangs in St. Patrick’s College Cavan.
  • More modern references on the internet states it was built in 1930, but it is listed on this site in 1851on Griffith’s Valuation maps, and on the 1842 Census of Ireland.
  • It was originally T- shaped with the sanctuary towards the road.
  • It was reconstructed in 1937. Architect was James Donnelly from Enniskillen and his brother were the contractor.
  • The Sanctuary was placed at the northern end, the nave lengthened on a new sanctuary erected.
  • On 16th April 1939 it was re- dedicated by Bishop Patrick Lyons.
  • The Bell tower was erected later and blessed by Bishop Quinn who was Bishop of Kilmore from 1950- 1972.
  • Sanctuary was modified in 1971
  • Rewired in 1975.
  • Stone on the wall in the porch with Latin writing on it and a huge stone font at the altar from an old church in Doobally dating from the 1700’s
  • Holy water font inside the door donated in1932in memory of a Boner woman (? once owners of the Dew Drop Inn). List of pews bought in memory of deceased relatives also on the wall in the porch.
  • There is supposed to be a tunnel running under the Church. (The bishops escape, as a every diocese has an escape to the sea.) Entrance to this tunnel is supposed to be in the fields opposite the church across the road and towards the right.
Top